HIST 1180 Chapter Notes - Chapter 4: Moneygram, Genogram

Department
History
Course Code
HIST 1180
Professor
David Kuffman
Chapter

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Moneygrams: recalled childhood memory reading
- demonstrated how influential parents are on their children's monetary behaviors, finding
a significant negative relationship between the amount of information learned from
parents and credit use. However, the data suggested that parents are reluctant to discuss
finances with their children due to how taboo the topic is
- My mother said only poor people went to heaven;” (b) “My parents warned me not to let
anyone know we had money or they would jinx us;” and (c) “My father always said a
man should never let a woman know he has money or she’ll find a way to take it away
from him.”
o These parental messages are sometimes called “scripts” and may be implicit or
explicit, but they remain powerful determinants of the adult person’s thinking and
emotions around money.
- moneygrams, are the messages that parents send to children, while money scripts
are individually held beliefs
- A genogram is a graphical representation of the legacy of beliefs and emotions that
parents transmit to their children and grandchildren directly and indirectly
- Moneygrams are similar to money scripts, but the major difference being that
moneygrams refer specifically to parental and family experiences of money, which are
passed to children.
- A moneygram measure is an instrument to assess patterns of beliefs and behaviors
received in childhood
- the higher the money pathology one has, the higher a person scored on the Moneygram
scale.
- Money secrecy in childhood was specified to adulthood
- The results from the money pathology scale confirm previous results: females score
higher than males on pathology carelessness subscales, older people show less pathology
than younger people and pathology tends to be more associated with left wing poltical
beleifs
- The more disturbed, obsessed, and irrational people are about money, the less likely they
are to earn money
- Females appear to be more negatively impacted by money secrecy in their childhood than
do males
- many people are not rational about their money and make decisions based on the
emotional associations of money often established in early childhood
-
-
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version