HRM 2600 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1: Job Enrichment, Job Security
DepartmentHuman Resources Management
Course CodeHRM 2600
This preview shows pages 1-2. to view the full 7 pages of the document.
Human Resources Management (HRM) – the process of managing
human talent to achieve an
- Managing human resources (human
intellectual assets) of the firm to achieve
Knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs)
Overall Framework for Human Resources Management
Productivity (P) output (goods/services)
Input (labour – employees) labour brings human
capital – money, equipment to firm
More output, less input, makes greater productivity.
Generalists – do a bit of everything
Specialists – one particular area
HR Professionals – internal consultants to line managers
Core Competencies knowledge sets in an organization that give it a
• Human Capital
• Job Design
• Age Distribution
• Gender issues
• Job security
• Employee rights
• Privacy issues
• Work attitudes
Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.
These can be achieved through employees of the firm:
• Employee’s have unique skills
• RARE/difficult to imitate – Microsoft employees normally have
• Well organized (team) to create synergy
Challenges to HR
1. Going Global Increase competition
Increased need to be innovative
Increase labour productivity
Challenges to organization:
• Balancing work and family
Globalization - The trend towards opening up foreign markets to
international trade and
Impact of Globalization
• “Anything, anywhere, anytime” markets.
• Partnerships with foreign firms.
• Lower trade and tariff barriers.
Corporate Social Responsibility - The responsibility of the firm to
act in the best interests of
the people and communities affected by
Impact on HRM
• Different geographies, cultures, laws, and business
• Identifying capable managers and workers.
• Developing foreign culture and work practice training
• Adjusting compensation plans for overseas work.
2. Embracing New Technology
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version