A process, typically performed annually by a supervisor for a subordinate,
designed to help employees understand their roles, objectives, expectations,
and performance success.
Purpose of Appraisal Programs: (2 Reasons)
To give raises or the annual increase
- Must include documentation of poor performance in
particular which eventually may lead to termination
Training (what kind of training do they need)
Who should appraise?
Manager and/or Supervisor
• Appraisal done by an employee’s manager and reviewed by a manager
one level higher.
• Appraisal done by the employee being evaluated, generally on an
appraisal form completed by the employee prior to the performance
• Appraisal by fellow employees, compiled into a single profile for use in
an interview conducted by the employee’s manager.
• Why peer appraisals are not used more often:
1. Peer ratings are simply a popularity contest.
2. Managers are reluctant to give up control over the
3. Those receiving low ratings might retaliate against their
4. Peers rely on stereotypes in ratings.
Customer Appraisal – restaurant
360 degrees feedback system :
•Everyone you work with evaluate your performance
•Time consuming because so many people are involved in
evaluating so you have to wait for all the responses