Humanities
Course
HUMA 1625
Professor
Sherry J.F.Rowley
Semester
Fall

Description
Why is the raven like a writing desk? The ramblings of a madman about a mad book By Ahmed Shahrukh Khawaja 212748018 In this paper I would like to discuss the theme of the tragic, yet inevitable loss of childhood innocence, as well as the fact that death is a constant threat in the novella Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. The story begins with Alice relaxing with her sister by the riverbank when she hears a rabbit of all things pass by muttering to itself about how late he had gotten while checking a pocket watch (if you said that today, you would probably be taken in for a psychological evaluation). The story then follows Alice around as she goes through this place called Wonderland, until she eventually wakes up and realizes all that had been a dream, and tells her sister about it. If one looks at the story, s/he would realize that most of the discomfort that Alice feels due to constantly changing her side from big to small to big again etc. is actually a bit like puberty. In chapter one she gets sad because she is either too big to fit through the door, or too small to reach the key, and in chapter five, she loses control of her body parts, like when her neck gets to an absurd length. These constant changes may represent similarities, at least in my opinion, to a child going through puberty and not understanding why his/her body was acting the way it was, and why the emotions were out of control, as throughout the book, Alice had constant mood swings from anger to sadness etc. Another thing noticed in the novella is that of how there has always been a danger present. Perhaps when Carroll wrote the book, the kids of that time were either not that bright to notice danger screaming at their face (I mean, who would just ride a gryphon without a sense of trepidation), or they were considered good enough to do things adults could as well. Whate
More Less

Related notes for HUMA 1625

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit