MODR 1760 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1-5: Snob, Fallacy

21 views1 pages
- Fallacy of Accent (Misquotation)
- here the ambiguity is not the result of the meaning of the terms, or poor sentence structure, but from confusion caused by
misquoting
- three ways:
- (i) the different tone of a remark (e.g. being straightforward or ironical)
ex: bill: "i hope she gets what she deserves"
Joe: you (bill) must really hate marry b/c you said, "I HOPE SHE GETS WHAT SHE DESERVES" (Joes Con) Bill hates
marry
Why: one cannot logically argue that just because one says something, they automatically mean it in a bad way
- (ii) accenting or stressing the wrong word
Joe: "I liked the dinner"
Bill: Joe's a snob b/c she said, "I liked the Dinner"
Why: one cannot logically quote a response while stressing a word or unstressing a word
- (iii) quoting misleadingly out of context
In a review Elbert wrote, "I liked the movie"
Passage: Elbert said, "I liked the movie, except for the ending which was stupid".
Why: One cannot logically expose the truth when one uses the quotation from someone that misleadingly takes it out of
context.
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 1 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Here the ambiguity is not the result of the meaning of the terms, or poor sentence structure, but from confusion caused by misquoting. (i) the different tone of a remark (e. g. being straightforward or ironical) ex: bill: "i hope she gets what she deserves" Joe: you (bill) must really hate marry b/c you said, "i hope she gets what she deserves" (joes con) bill hates marry. Why: one cannot logically argue that just because one says something, they automatically mean it in a bad way. (ii) accenting or stressing the wrong word. Bill: joe"s a snob b/c she said, "i liked the dinner" Why: one cannot logically quote a response while stressing a word or unstressing a word. In a review elbert wrote, "i liked the movie" Passage: elbert said, "i liked the movie, except for the ending which was stupid".

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers