Chapter 9 Asteroids.doc

4 Pages

Department
Natural Science
Course Code
NATS 1740
Professor
Randy Hoffman

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Chapter 9 Asteroids, Comets and Dwarf Planets
9.1 Asteroids and Meteorites
Why is there an asteroid belt?
- Rocky planetesimals survived in the asteroid belt between mars and Jupiter because they
did not accrete into a planet
Why didn’t another terrestrial planet form here instead?
Jupiters role in the asteroid belt
- Jupiters gravity through the influence of orbital resonances stirred up asteroid orbits and
thereby prevented their accretion into a planet
Resonances arise whenever objects periodically line up with each other so gravity
effects them over and over again in the same direction
How are meteorites related to asteroids?
The difference between meteors and meteorites
Meteor: flash of light caused by a particle entering our atmosphere at high speed not
the particle itself
Meteorite: large enough to pass the atmosphere and leave an impression on the
ground
Types of meteorites
Primitive meteorites: simple mixtures of rock and metal sometimes also containing
carbon compounds and small amounts of water
Nearly 4.6 billion years old
Processed meteorites: large asteroids underwent differentiation, made of mostly iron
some are rocky
Few 100 million years younger than primitive
- Most meteorites are pieces of asteroids and they teach us much about the early history of
our solar system
Lunar meteorites: meteors from the moon
Martian meteorites: meteors from mars
9.2 Comets
- Mostly composed of ice because they formed beyond frost line

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 9 Asteroids, Comets and Dwarf Planets 9.1 Asteroids and Meteorites Why is there an asteroid belt? - Rocky planetesimals survived in the asteroid belt between mars and Jupiter because they did not accrete into a planet  Why didn’t another terrestrial planet form here instead? Jupiters role in the asteroid belt - Jupiters gravity through the influence of orbital resonances stirred up asteroid orbits and thereby prevented their accretion into a planet  Resonances arise whenever objects periodically line up with each other so gravity effects them over and over again in the same direction How are meteorites related to asteroids? The difference between meteors and meteorites • Meteor: flash of light caused by a particle entering our atmosphere at high speed not the particle itself • Meteorite: large enough to pass the atmosphere and leave an impression on the ground Types of meteorites • Primitive meteorites: simple mixtures of rock and metal sometimes also containing carbon compounds and small amounts of water  Nearly 4.6 billion years old • Processed meteorites: large asteroids underwent differentiation, made of mostly iron some are rocky  Few 100 million years younger than primitive - Most meteorites are pieces of asteroids and they teach us much about the early history of our solar system • Lunar meteorites: meteors from the moon • Martian meteorites: meteors from mars 9.2 Comets - Mostly composed of ice because they formed beyond frost line How do comets get their tails? - Most comets remain perpetually frozen in the outer solar system  Only a few enter the inner solar system where they can grow tails - Haleys comet orbits the sun every 76 years (last passed in 1986 returns 2061) Comet structure and composition • Nucleus: chunk of ice mixed with rocky dust and more complex minerals • Coma: leftover dusty atmosphere  Larger than the nucleus • Plasma tail: gas escaping through the coma • Dust tail: dust size particles escaping the coma - When a comet nears the sun, it ices can sublimate into gas and carry off dust creating the coma and long tails Comet tails and meteor showers
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit