Textbook Notes (358,897)
Canada (155,906)
York University (12,166)
NATS 1775 (19)
Vera Pavri (19)
Chapter

NATS 1775 - Bad Science Notes (Book Report)
NATS 1775 - Bad Science Notes (Book Report)

2 Pages
Unlock Document

School
York University
Department
Natural Science
Course
NATS 1775
Professor
Vera Pavri
Semester
Fall

Description
Bad Science Notes Chapter 1 - Matter • Footbath (p.4-7) • Candling (p.7-9) • Detox (p.9-14) • Detox patches (p.9-11) • Detox as a marketing invention/cultural product/ritual (p.11 & 12) • Wrong to believe these rituals are based in science • Quick fix diets • Cleansing = Ritualistic or symbolic in other cultures (p.13) Chapter 2 - Brain Gym Brain Gym = hocus-pocus (p.15-20) • • “People will buy into bogus explanations much more readily when they are dressed up with a few technical words from the world of neuroscience.” (p.17) • “When you strip away the nonsense, it advocates regular breaks, intermittent light exercise, and drinking plenty of water.” (p.19) • “Making common sense copyrightable, unique, patented and owned” (p.20) • The Field of Nutritionisim (p.20) • “Professionalizing the obvious” (p.20 & 21) * “…privatization of common sense…fostering our dependance on outside systems and people.” (p.21) • Don’t buy into hoaxes (letter from a student to a teacher regarding Brain Gym) (p.22) Chapter 3 - The Progenium XY Complex • Cosmetic industry = big money to be made from nonsense (p.23) • How moisturizing creams actually work • Vaseline does the job of moisturizing just as well as expensive department store cream (p.23) Making your own moisturizer at home • • “Magic ingredients” only listed for show, as they only exist in very small doses in most creams (p.24) Effectiveness? 7 out of 10 people were pleased with the results they got from their free pot of • cream (p.25) • False Claims - absorbing “nutrients” found in my face cream though my skin? (p.26) • Cellular DNA (Salmon roe DNA absorbed in my skin? or extra oxy
More Less

Related notes for NATS 1775

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit