Chapter 10 “How does the nation state work?”
States, Nations and Allegiance
• Modern political discourse is usually understood on the basis of the geological
world of nationstates
• State part of ‘nationstate’…scholars have focused on the process by which states
were formed by monopolizing violence within a bounded territory.
• As a variety of historical accounts have put it, the monopolizing of violence
required disarming diverse substate affiliated groupings, asserting fiscal control
over the population and establishing recruitment procedures for armies and
• All of these moves were aimed at securing territorial boundaries and centralizing
and governmentally controlling all aspects of the population, in order to become a
separately governed entity with centralized control.
• As a result, states are understood primarily as territorial entities with exclusive,
coercively and legally supported soverei