Psychology (3,541)
PSYC 1010 (1,075)

Psychology in Modules: Module 28

3 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
PSYC 1010
Rebecca Jubis

Module 28 Page 1 Module 28 Language and Thought Language - our spoken written or signed words and the ways we combine them to communicate meaning. Language Structure Phonemes - in a language, the smallest distinctive sound unit. Consonant phonemes carry more information than do vowel phonemes. EX. Chat has 3 phonemes, ch, a & t. 869 in human speech but no language uses them all. English uses about 40. Morphemes - in a language, the smallest unit that carries meaning; may be a word or a part of a word (such as a prefix). EX. I & a are also phonemes. But most combine 2 or more phonemes. Grammar - in a language, a system of rules that enables us to communicate with and understand others. In a given language, semantics is the set of rules for deriving meaning from sounds and syntax is the set of rules for combining words into grammatically sensible sentences. Language is complexity built of simplicity. "I know that you can know why I worry that you think this sentence is starting to get too complex, but that complexity - and our capacity to communicate and comprehend it - is what distinguishes human language capacity." Language Development Receptive Language • By 4 months babies can recognize differences in speech sounds & can also read lips • The ability to understand what is said to and about them. • At 7 months babies can segment spoken sounds into individual words. Their adeptness to this predicts their language abilities at 2-5. Productive Language • Ability to produce words matures after receptive language • Babbling Stage - beginning at about 4 months, the stage of speech development in which the infant spontaneously utters various sounds at first unrelated to the household language. Usually consonant-vowel pairs formed by bunching the tongue at the front of the mouth ex. ma-ma. • Deaf infants babble more with their hands by watching their parents sign Module 28 Page 2 • By 10 months their babbling has changed to be able to identify the household language • One-Word Stage - the stage in speech development, from 1-2 during which a child speaks mostly in single words • 18 months learning changes from one word per week to one per day • Two-Word Stage - beginning about age 2, the stage in speech development during which a child speaks mostly i
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 1010

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.