Research In Psychology: Methods and Design, 7th Edition. Chapter 7

6 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 2030
Professor
Rebecca Jubis

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade. are saying about us

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 7  Experimental Design I: Single­Factor Designs  Single Factor – Two Levels  • Single­factor design: an experimental design with a single independent variable  • Independent groups design: a between­subjects design that uses a manipulated  independent variable and has at least two groups to which subjects are randomly assigned  • Matched groups design: a between­subjects design that uses a manipulated independent  variable and has at least two groups of participants; subjects are matched on some variable  assumed to affect the outcome before being randomly assigned to the groups  • Ex post facto design: subjects in the study are placed into the groups “after the fact” of their  already existing subject characteristics  o Attempt to make the groups as similar as possible with reference to other variables  o Random assignment is not possible  • Repeated­measures design: used when the independent variable is tested within subjects –  each participant in the study experiences each level of the independent variable  Between­Subjects, Single­factor Designs • Study comparing just two conditions (simple)  Research Example 9 – Two­Level Independent Groups design ­ Single factor with 2 levels:  ­ Investigated the relationship between insecurity and one’s materialist leanings (buy things because  of insecurities)  ­ Create insecurity in participants and see how they respond to questions about financial things  ­ Randomly assigned into 2 groups: 1 group wrote essay on their death, 2  wrote about music  ­ People talking about their death thought they’d make more money and spend more on leisure  activities Research Example 10 – Two­level Matched groups design  ­ Use matching procedure followed by random assignment when:  ­ A) they have a small # of subjects ­ B) they are concerned that some attribute of these subjects could affect the outcome ­ C) they have a good way of measuring that attribute  ­ Autistic children watched videos of other children and were given opportunity to imitate their  bndaviour (social skills)  ­ 2  group did not see  the videos, they just played ­ Used a matching procedure followed by random assignment for the 25 children in the study  • Interobserver reliability: the degree of agreement between 2 or more observers of the  same event  Research Example 11 – Two­Level Ex Post Facto Design  ­ Examines the effects of brain damage that results from an accident  ­ Investigated the abilities of 34 subjects with TBI to process and understand social exchanges  ­ Select subjects so the 2 groups would be as similar as possible, except for the brain damage ex,  education age ­ This is matching “AFTER THE FACT” ­ Groups watched social videos and were asked to identify certain behaviours  ­ Those with TBI were impaired in that ability  Within­Subjects, Single­Factor Designs  • any within­subjects design:  o requires fewer participants  o is more sensitive to small differences between means  o typically uses counterbalancing to control for order effects  • A within­subjects design with a single IV and 2 levels will counterbalance in one of 2 ways: o If subjects participate in each condition just once (complete counterbalancing) half = A  then B. Rest = B then A.  o If participants are tested more than once per condition (reverse counterbalancing) (ABBA)  • Another counterbalancing strategy for a study with 2 cond
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit