PSYC 2110 (131)
Gillian Wu (18)

CH 5.docx

1 Page
Unlock Document

York University
PSYC 2110
Gillian Wu

CH 5: THE NEWBORN’S READINESS FOR LIFE Newborn Reflexes  Reflex: involuntary and automatic response to a stimulus i.e. eye blinking to a puff of air  Something’s acquired are survival reflexes: things needed to survive (breathing, eye-blink, and sucking/swallowing) – also used to create a close companionship with parents  Other reflexes are called root reflexes: these are things that babies have, but are not needed for their survival - a baby getting close to the mothers nipple will start sucking before they latch  Primitive reflex: things that may have been useful in past lives, but are not needed anymore, i.e. infant fanning their toes when they are stroked on the feet; or the grasping reflex o These are controlled by the primitive areas in the brain and so they will disappear after a few months of life when the cerebral cortex starts guiding voluntary behaviors Infant States  Infants go through six different states of
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2110

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.