PSYC 2230 (107)
Chapter 1

chapter 1.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
PSYC 2230
Frank Marchese

[chap1] VII. Philosophical and physiological Theory: A. Philosophical theory is derived from notions about what constitutes human nature that was very much a part of Greed philosophy. Eg, Aristotle propose: the soul ( mind) is free ( to make a choice, free mind = indeterminism), thus free will; and the mind is a blank slate at birth. Hence, experience and learning determines in part the mind‟s contents. - contrary to Aristotle‟s position is Determinism: all action is caused by antecedent variables. - In the nature-nurture controversy, Aristotle is on the side of nurture. 1. Descartes: a dualistic theory of human nature, whereby human behaviour is partly the result of a free, rational soul (cognitive functions) and partly the result of automatic (non- rational) processes of the body, as evidenced by instincts. (animal don‟t choose to do this do that but human do). -Descartes‟ approach suggests a mechanical view of human nature as in automatic reactions to stimuli and a cognitive view of the mind‟s capacity to think and reason. -Nature-nurture controversy is an outgrowth of Aristotle and Descartes‟ competing views. 2. Locke introduced 2 imp ideas for psychology: I) role of sensory experience in determining contents of mind since mind at birth is a blank slate, a “tabula rasa” (ex Aristotle‟ position) and II) Association of ideas in which sensation is converted into ideas, the basic units of the mind. - From sensation to perception of „what is‟ and thru reflection the mind gains knowledge of its own operations. - Complex ideas may be reduced to simple ideas and it is the mind‟s capacity to associate one idea with another that accounts for the formation of concepts and knowledge. Functional autonomy of motives: motives become independent – autonomous- of their origin biological sources. (associate by continuity – 2 item appear close together if associate by time / space) (learn taste aversion) - for ex, working to survive may come independent of the origin biological necessity to (provide food and shelter to satisfy needs. Work for its „own sake‟ so as to „achieve‟ may become separated from its orig biological source. It becomes an independent motive and forms the basis of achievement motivation or effectance motivation.(I work, I get food. But now I work also for enjoyment of work)
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2230

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.