Psychology
Course
PSYC 3525
Professor
Josee Rivest
Semester
Winter

Description
Ch. 13 - The Comparison of Two Conditions Tuesday, February 26, 20132:17 PM What do signal-to-noiserationshaveto do with t tests? • Three most popular statistical tests: t test, F test, and chi-square test • The hypothesis determines which statistical test is used ○ t test-- used for comparing the means of two groups • A signal-to-noise ratio is set up ○ Signal is represented by the difference between the two means ○ Noise is represented by the variability of the scores within the samples • The larger this ratio, them more likely it is that the null hypothesis will be rejected • The independent-sample t test tests statistical significance by examining the difference between two independent means (the signal) against the background of the within-group variability (the noise) • The larger the difference between the means (i.e., the greater the signal), and/or the smaller the within-group variability for a given size study (i.e., the less the noise), the greater will be the value of t (larger t value is preferable) How do I computean independent-sample t test? • t test for independent samples (i.e., not repeated-measures designs) • • Where (unbiased estimator of the population variance) What cana tableof p valuesfor t teachme? • t distribution-- a family of curves, where there is a different curve (each one resembling the standard normal distribution) for every possible value of what are called the degrees of freedom (df)-- the number of values free to vary ○ For an independent-samples t test with two groups, • In order for a t test to be accurate, homogeneity of variance (the idea that the population variance of the groups being compared is assumed to be equal) must be met ○ Raw scores are often tr
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 3525

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit