PSYC 3525 (5)
Chapter 12

Ch. 12 - Understanding p Values and Effect Size Indicators.pdf

2 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
PSYC 3525
Josee Rivest

Ch. 12 - Understanding p Values and Effect Size Indicators Monday, December 17, 2012 11:13 AM PSYC2520: Introduction to Experimental Psychology BeginningBehavioralResearch: A Conceptual Primer (7thed. 2012)Rosnow& Rosenthal Chapter12: Understandingp Valuesand EffectSize Indicators (pp.219-225) Why is it importantto focus not just on statistical significance? • Null hypothesis sigficance testing (NHST)- The use of statistics and probabilities to evaluate the null hypothesis • Null hypothesis- there is no difference in the dependent variable between any levels of the independent variable • Significance test = Size of effect x Size of study ○ Effect size is measured using correlations (r) What is thereasoningbehindnull hypothesissignificance testing? • Null hypothesis vs. alternative hypothesis What is thedistinctionbetween a Type I error and a Type II error? • Type I error implies that he decision maker mistakenly rejected the null hypothesis when it is, in fact, true and should not have been rejected ○ The risk (or probability) of making a Type I error is called:  Alpha (α)  Significance level  p value • Type II error implies that the decision maker mistakenly failed to reject the null hypothesis whet it is, in fact, false and should have been reject ○ The risk of making a Type II error is called beta (β) What are one-tailed and two-tailedp values? • The two-tailed p value is applicable when the alternative hypothesis did not specifically predict in which side (or tail) of the probability distribution the significance would be detected • The on
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 3525

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.