Explain the growth of the service sector in Canada and the implications for Canadian workers.
1. Rise of the service sector grew because of new technologies
• Service sector is tertiary (not primary or secondary)
2. Services are here to stay and are growing
• More opportunity for employment and growth
• Use to be a minor sector before
• Most women work in the service sector
• Shows more resistance to recession compared to manufacturing
• Statistics has found that some service industries, such as health care and education, are "countercyclical," or may
actually increase in number of jobs during a recession, due to increased demand for these services.
3. Growth of the service sector
• The expansion of the role of the state as a provider of educational and social services contributed significantly
to the growth of the service sector
4. Past to present
• Half of Canadians used to work on the farms, fishing, forests, and mining
• Only 31% were in the services
• In 2008 almost 77% were in services
5. Why did the service sector grow?