TheAge of Needs
◦ Place, People, and Process
‣ We are now self reliant.
‣ Physiological needs in Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs
‣ First stone tools 3.4 milling years ago
‣ First evidence of human adaptation: basic tools
‣ Salado People ofArizona who became the antecedent to many today's
◦ The NorthAmerican Birch-Back Canoe
‣ Stone was essential to evolution of humanity
‣ Algonquin and Ojibway tribes were clever in using locally found wood
and talent is birch bark canoe.
‣ Canoe provided transportation over bodies of water of NorthAmerica.
• Environmentally sustainable
‣ Origin is northeast of NorthAmerica
‣ Made from a large white birch tree page 64
‣ Design is magical
‣ No one knows ego designed it
‣ Designer, maker, and user are the same person in this case
‣ Aluminum canoes are popular
‣ Hunter gathers
‣ Alaska, Northern Canada, and Greenland have tent circles.
◦ The Cliff Dwellings of theAmerican Southwest
‣ Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, and Colorado were where many of North
American tribes existed
‣ 9000 BCE in Clovis, NM
◦ The White House at Canyon de Chelly
‣ Located inArizona
‣ Inhabited 5000 years
‣ First visitors wereAnasazi/ancient people in Navajo ‣ Between 200 BXE and 750 BC, visitors went from hunting and gathering
‣ Basketmakers - Pueblo People between 750 BCE and 1300 CE
‣ Most magnificent of southwest cliff dwellings
◦ Tonto: Upper and Lower Cliff Dwellings
‣ Rio Sala