Biology
Course
BIOL 1300
Professor
Carol Chaia Halpern
Semester
Fall

Description
Metabolism and DNA  10/09/2012 Catabolism of Glucose   in the absence of oxygen the electron will not be able to flow from one molecule to another, i.e. the next  electron will not be donated, NADH will not be able to donate its electron so it will not be converted to  NAD+ • NAD+ ­ Krebs cycle­ converts to NADH­ Krebs cycle will come to halt­ accumulation of acetyl  CoA­ back up­glycolysis impaired • Without O2 pyruvic acid will be routed to turn into lactic acid as opposed to acetyl CoA as  needed to go to Krebs cycle     liver can take amino acids and convert them to glucose – happens only when we are desperate for  glucose   production of ketone bodies made primarily in people who have an immune problem, i.e type 2 diabetes  patients make more ketone bodies can be made from acetyl CoA­ can be utilized by brain tissue to make ATP  aceto acetic acid, acetone  DNA (Deoxyribonucleic Acid) • History • DNA is genetic material of most cells, not proteins  • How was that figured out? o Griffith experiments in 1928 o Avery et . al. experiments in early 1940s o Hershey­ Chase experiments published in 1952 What is the structure of DNA? From nucleotides to the double helix  Rosalind Franklin, Irwin Chargaff, James Watson, Francis Cook, Maurice Wilkins  The Griffith Experiments • The S (streptococcus pneumoniae) strain has a smooth outer coat – 
More Less

Related notes for BIOL 1300

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit