Philosophy
Course
PHIL 1070
Professor
svetelj
Semester
Fall

Description
Book II Virtue is a state of character (pg 19) 10/25/13 Drunk Driving Accident Activity – if you want to be a good driver, then act like this, which includes don’t drink, so you  won’t be a good driver Not born a good driver, will become a good driver by doing it Activity of the Soul, of the best part of the soul – need the knowledge to drive well ­>  use rational part of the soul which will give you the knowledge to act well Knowledge will help  Must do it over complete Life – has to drive carefully throughout entire life, not just once External Goods – he needs a car, gas, insurance, license What happened to his soul? Appetitive part of soul took over Practical part of soul was not able to check his appetitive part Theoretical comes up with general rules like “if I am drunk I cannot operate well”,  Practical part  applies these rules Book II Continued We are not born virtuous or vicious We become either virtuous or vicious Definition of VIRTUE: 1) VIRTUE IS A STATE of character as a result of practice example of piano player something in us becomes so strong that we always act in a similar way its like a second nature, its so deep in you, its not what happens by mistake, it is what I achieve 2) state of finding balance between  excess and deficiency i
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 1070

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit