Philosophy
Course
PHIL 1071
Professor
Miles
Semester
Spring

Description
Descartes Meditations: Mediation II: 1. Explain Descartes’metaphor of a “deep whirlpool” in the opening passage of this meditation. • He means that he is confused and to a certain extent lost • He feels he’s been tossed around and can neither touch bottom with his feet, or swim up to the top • Can’t find certainty to set aside this worry or forget about this worry o Could this without drama but wants you to feel what he feels 2. What assertion does Descartes think is “necessarily true every time I utter it”? • The assertion Descartes makes is “I am, I exist” • He believes that he should never be deceived to believe he is nothing so long as he thinks that he is something • Even if all contents of thought are false, then there is still this mind that is being deceived o so there is a mind there • Cogito ergo sum – I think therefore I am o Still a me there being deceived, by me means a thinking thing o This only works in the first person, because cannot doubt yourself thinks 3. Why does Descartes suggest that the body seems to be easier to know than the soul (p.18- 19)? • He sees the soul as a rarified I-know-not-what, like a wind, or fire, or ether. o Sensing and thinking various things, taking in food, all attributed to the soul • When it came to the body he was not in doubt, thought he knew its nature o Understood all that is capable of being bounded by shape, enclosed in space, and filling up space in such a way to exclude another body from it, of being perceived by touch, sight, taste,
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 1071

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit