Kant Grounding for the Metaphysics of Morals Section 2 Part I.docx

2 Pages

Department
Philosophy
Course Code
PHIL 1071
Professor
Miles

This preview shows 80% of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Description
Kant Grounding for the Metaphysics of Morals Section 2 Part I: 1. Why does Kant think that we may never discover with certainty actual cases of people acting purely out of duty? a. Always doubts as to whether what occurs has really been done from duty and so has moral worth b. Cannot be certain that some secret impulse of self-love, merely appearing as the idea of duty, was not the actual determining cause of the will i. We like to flatter ourselves with the false claim to a more noble motive; but in fact we can never completely plumb the depths of the secret incentives of our actions ii. For when moral value is being considered, the concern is not with the actions, which are seen, but rather with their inner principles, which are not seen. 2. Explain Kant’s distinction between what he calls a “hypothetical imperative” and a “categorical imperative”. a. Hypothetical – the practical necessity of a possible action as a means for attaining something else that one wants (or may possibly want). i. Good as means to something else b. Categorical – represents an action as objectively necessary in itself, without reference to another end i. good in itself and hence as necessary in a will which of itself conforms to reason as the principle of will 3. Explain Kant’s critique of parents on p.25. What do parents “commonly neglect”, according to Kant? a. Kant says that since it cannot be known in early youth what ends may be presented to us in the course of life, parents seek to have their children lean many different kinds of things, and they provide for skill in the use of means to all sorts of arbitrary ends
More Less
Unlock Document

Only 80% of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit