Chapter 11.5 Notes

3 Pages

Department
Biology
Course Code
CAS BI 108
Professor
Francis Monette

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Description
BI108 Chapter 11 Notes: The Cell Cycle and Cell Division 11.5: What Happens During Meiosis? Two nuclear divisions that reduce the number of chromosomes to haploid number. Although the nucleus divides twice, the DNAis only replicated once. Overall Functions:  Reduce chromosome number from diploid to haploid  Ensure that each of the haploid products has a complete set of chromosomes  Generate genetic diversity among products Meiotic division reduces the chromosome number Meiosis I:  Homologous chromosomes come together and then separate (but remember that the sister chromatids remain intact)  Preceded by S phase—each chromosome is replicatedtwo sister chromatids held together by cohesin proteins  At the end, two nuclei form, and each has half of the original chromosomes (one member of each homologous pair) Sister chromatids will then be separated during Meiosis II Meiosis I Early Prophase Mid-Prophase Late Prophase-Prometaphase Metaphase Anaphase Telophase Meiosis II Prophase II Prometaphase II Anaphase II Telophase II Products Chromatid exchanges during meiosis I generate genetic diversity Synapsis: homologous chromosomes pair by adhering along their lengths. This process lasts from prophase I to the end of metaphase I. Note: the four chromatids of each pair of homologous chromosomes form a tetrad.At the end of prophase one the human cell contains 23 tetrads (each has four chromatids) Chiasmata: regions where homologous chromosomes are attached, they have an X-shaped appearance. BI108 Chapter 11 Notes: The Cell Cycle and Cell Division  The chiasmata reflects an exchange of genetic material between nonsister chromatids on homologous chromosomes. This process is called crossing over.  Material is exchanged and later the homologs repel each other  Crossing over results in recombinant chromosomes. It also increases genetic variation by shuffling info among the homologous pairs. During meiosis homologous chromosomes separate by independent assortment Diploid: (2n) = 2 sets of chromosomes; one from male parent, one from female parent.As the organism grows, its cel
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit