SMG OB 221 Chapter Notes - Chapter 3: Self-Awareness, Mental Models, Contact Hypothesis

63 views5 pages

Document Summary

Chapter 3 - perceiving ourselves and others in organizations. How you see and feel about yourself. 1: relational self - friends and coworkers, collective self - organizations, social groups, team. 3c"s - 3 characteristics of self-concept: complexity, we have multiple selves (daughter, mother, accountant, manager) If one role is threatened, having high complexity, you will be less affected. Multiple selves can help you adapt i. ii. i. ii: complexity increases with: Separation of each identity: people wants to increase complexity (aka self-expansion) by finding new opportunities and social connections, consistency, high consistency when: i. Increases with age personality and values become stable and you develop more self-awareness through life: clarity improves performance and gives a clear path of what they want i. Too high clarity = cannot adapt to change in environment. 4 processes that shape self-concept: self-enhancement, want to have and keep a positive self-view, leads tobetter personal mental and physical health i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers