Philosophy
Course
CAS PH 100
Professor
Sarah Farkas
Semester
Fall

Description
Freedom 10/13/2012 Freedom of the Will Peter Van Inwagen Think of time as “garden of forking paths” Free Will Act in accordance of free will – Act in circumstances that we could have done otherwise Free will is to have more than one future is sometimes open to us When one as free will when one decides among forks in the road of time Has free will if sometimes more than one of the forks in the road is “open” Lacks free will if on every occasion only one fork is open Fatalism – no matter what you do, you are always going to reach your fate Determinism – theory that all events are, without exception, totally determined Totally determined = its occurrence is causally necessary Events occur from things that have happened before  Determinism is to that every future confronts us but one is physically possible Dilemma of determinism 1) if determinism is true, we can never do other than we do, hence we are never responsible 2) if indeterminism is true, then some events are random, hence not free, hence we are never responsible 3) Either determinism is true or indeterminism is true THEREFORE: 4) We are never responsible for what we do Indeterminism – gives us no answer why one thing happens over another It just happens, get over it Accept chance as an answer and a determining factor Deprives us of being responsible Arbitrary and unintelligible   Incompatibilists  – hold that free will and determinism are incompatible  Assert determinism and deny free will (Hard determinism)  There is no moral fault their fate determined them to do something…they are not responsible  Hold free will and deny determinism (libertarianism)  If my desires are predetermined then I didn’t choice my desires…therefore I’m not free Compatibilists  – hold that free will and determinism are compatible Assert determinism and hold free will (soft determinism)  Frankford’s View: ­Even if we act on our desires they are not free ­We act freely when we approve of our desires If we want to want to eat the cake Hume’s View: ­If I know you, I will be able to look at you and tell your desires most of the time ­If you do something out of character, ill assume their was some unknown cause that made you do it Our actions aren’t uncaused, we just don’t have full knowledge of what caused our actions Van Inwagen’s View:  freedom to choose, but don’t because of what we have done before…past actions  and desires have influence over our choices  When you get to the fork in the road, it seems like you have options but its don’t going to happen because  the past and your desires decide where you were heading beforehand Physically possible – if everything that happens in that future we can conceive of it and doesn’t defies the  laws of nature Physically possible connection to the present – if it can be joined to the present without any violations of the  laws of nature If we are compatibilists we aren’t free…if we have indeterminism everything is just  random a future is open to the agent IF the agent choose that action it would come to be the reason we need to be interested in open futures is because we are interested in behavior modification rewarded behavior we like, punishing behavior we don’t like modify behavior by modifying peoples choices Compatibilists Mystery Notion of not having a choice seems to make sense to us because of… No Choice Principle – if p, then q…no one has had any choice about q 1) Suppose that P and that no one has (or ever had) any choice about p 2) suppose also that the following conditional is true and that no one has(or ever had) any choice about its  truth. If p, then q 3)It follows that Q and that no one has or ever had any choice about whether Q Determinist needs to reject “No Choice Principle” because determinism implies there is no free will THEREFORE: Compatibilism does not work Incompatibilism: CHOICE \/ Libertarianism: Hold free will and deny determinism  Agent Causation – For an agent to have a choice about the outcome of the process the agent must be able  to cause the action of the outcomes ­Able to cause things to go one way but able to cause things to go differently RESPONSE: causation is a mystery ­An outside agent cause (the “I”) chooses which one path over the other The agent causes itself…there is no cause for the outside agent Who is the agent? How does the agent decide and influence events? CONCLUSION – that none of these can be reconciled…things are generally undetermined and we still  have a choice in the outcomes  Others reject free will or the no choice principle Hard Determinism 10/13/2012 The Illusion of Free Will Paul Holbach Asserts determinism and deny free will  ­your life is a hard line on the Earth that you can never swerve from everything has been determined for you already we act necessarily, our actions are the result of the impulse we receive either: 1) from the motive  2) from the object 3) from the idea which has modified his brain all of which as not been determined by us Motives and the Determinism of the Will Man is subject to universal laws of nature ­he is born w/ his own consent ­his ideas come to him involuntarily ­his habits are in the power of those who cause him to contract them ­he is unceasingly modified by causes, whether visible or concealed, over which he has no control The will is a modification of the brain, it is disposed to action This will is necessarily determined by the qualities of the object, or the motive that acts upon his sense not in accordance to this will when I new idea which modifies his brain in a different manner comes into play Libertarianism 10/13/2012 Human Freedom and the Self Libertarianism 10/13/2012 Roderick M. Chisholm A) He could have done otherwise B) If he had chosen to do otherwise, then we would have done otherwise C) he could have chosen to do otherwise  Human beings are responsible agents conflicts with a deterministic and indeterminisitic view of human action if a man is responsible for an a certain event then that event was brought about by some act of him and  was something that was in his power to perform or not perform a man IS NOT  responsible for actions caused by his desires because he has no control over them G.E. Moore Compatibilist Objection ­We have statement A and B which are equivalent  ­Compatible with determinism  ­If B is consistent with determinism and A and B are a equivalent then A is consisten
More Less

Related notes for CAS PH 100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit