Philosophy (35)
CAS PH 100 (12)

Unit 4-Mid-Body Problem

21 Pages
Unlock Document

Boston University
CAS PH 100
Sarah Farkas

Descartes’ Meditations 10/27/2012 Meditations on First Philosophy Rene Descartes Synopsis of the Following 6 Meditations st 1  Meditation  – reasons are provided which give us possible grounds for doubt about all things ▯ result  of this doubt is to make it impossible for us to have any further doubts about what w discover to be true nd 2  meditation  – mind supposes the non­existence of all the things we doubt exist ▯ result the mind  notices that it is impossible that not exist distinguishes mind and body sets prerequisites for knowledge of the immortality of a soul defines the soul know that everything that we clearly & distinctly understand is true in a way which corresponds to our  understanding of it (4  meditation)  th th concept of corporeal nature (here and 5  & 6  meditation) 3  meditation  – proof for why God exists follows Anselm’s proof  th 4  meditation  – proves that everything that we clearly & distinctly perceive is true, also explains what the  nature of falsity consists of th 5  mediation  – new argument for the existence of God 6  meditation  – all things we clearly and distinctly conceive of as different substance are in fact  substances which are really distinct from the other intellect & imagination mind & body errors which commonly come from the senses & how to avoid them argument enabling the existence of material things to be inferred  dualism – mind and matter are distinct and independent substances we cannot understand the body except as being divisible, we cannot understand the mind as being  indivisible • decay of the body does not imply the destruction of the mind • allows for hope of an after life • the premises that lead to the soul being immortal relies on physics  1      need to know that absolute substances are incorruptible & cannot ever cease to exist unless reduce to  nothingness by God  2    need to recognize that the human body is simply made up of certain configurations of limbs & other  accidents & that the human mind is a pure substance st 1  Meditation • what can be called into doubt? • Many times he was fooled by falsehood and then found out he was wrong • Necessary to defy everything in his mind that he was not 100% sure of o Need to show that all his beliefs are uncertain o Doesn’t need to go through all beliefs  Targets basic principles for which all his former beliefs rested…if those are uncertain  then the rest will be uncertain He is a thinking thing 1. Perception – for the most part the things that we take for granted as being the most true are the  things we perceive a. What we are wearing, the podium  Sometimes we dream things that madmen don’t even think about…we can dream things that are super  vivid/lucid that feel like reality How do you know when you’re not dreaming Even when we are dreaming, we dream about things we encounter in the real world If we look at math we can find things that are true with out any doubt…whether or dreaming or awake Descartes believes whole heartedly in god…how do we know that God didn’t make a world that space and  time exist, 2+2=4, and that God didn’t just deceive us Its not dangerous to test your believes Everything can be called into doubt 2  Meditation Begins in complete doubt about everything around him…no sky, no earth, no mind, no body I just deprived myself of a body, of senses  Doesn’t it seem as if I am so bound up in my body that this “I” I am talking about cant exist without it…his  answer is no I can deprive myself of everything in this thought experiment and I am still thinking  If you think something then you are something I think therefore I am What is this I? What can I say man is? A body is tangible, takes up space, in a specific locations, I can hear taste touch it and move it around A mind is just a thing that thinks…intelligence and reason Wax example  If you take bees wax of a honey comb it looks yellow and hard, if you put a flame to it, it turns white and soft The physicality of the wax changes but we still call it wax Perception involves putting different sensory perceptions together in my mind Perception is not a passive thing…we use our minds to do it Bodies are not strictly perceived by the sense or the factuality of imagination but by the intellect and this  comes from our understanding From the median fact of his existence he can build a solid foundation for the new science Mind & Its Place in Nature 10/27/2012 Dualism – theory that mind and matter are distinct and independent kind of substances Idealism – theory that the body itself is nothing but a collection of actual or possible sense­data Physiclaism – theory that mind is reducible to matter (only physical stuff in the world) Occasionalism – kind of dualism that abandons the commonsense view that mind and body really do  interact casually It is god who makes us feel pain or life our arm up, not our mind Parallelism – mind & body only appear to interact because of a “pre­established harmony” between life  histories Identity Theory – holds that mental events (aches & pains, sensations, after­images, desires, thoughts)  are simply identical with brain processes Epiphenomenalism – the mind is not itself a material thing, rather is it’s a distinct but casually  impotent by­product of the world charted by physics Qualia – peculiarly subjective, felt qualities of experiences (SENSES) “the qualia problem” – Designed by Jackson to show that no amount of knowledge about how the brain  works can give us knowledge of what it is to feel such things therefore these mental experiences cannot be physical ones concludes that physicalism must be false Intertheoretic reduction – we reduce items in our commonsense theory of the world to items in a  mature physics or neuroscience Materialism – argument claims that all that exists in this world can be adequately explained by citing  physical facts (Peter Carruthers) Either the mind does or does not exist, but it is a physical thing Eliminative Materialism – mental states & processes as we ordinarily conceive of them must simply  be eliminated from our theorizing about ourselves (Paul Churchland) Functionalist (Type Physicalism) – holds that the mental and intellection properties of a “system”  (person) depend of the specific physical (brain) properties of that system Apparently many quite different systems (those constructed to process info) can perform the same tasks In Defense of Mind­Body Dualism 10/27/2012 Brie Gertler In Defense of Mind­Body Dualism 10/27/2012 Contemporary dispute between physicalists & naturalistic dualists is a disagreement about what kinds of  data  there are about the nature of the mind, and what sortheory  best explains the data 1. Physicalism, Dualism, and the Need of Thought Experiments identity thesis – every mental state is identical to some type of physical state • c­fiber example (P) Pain = c­fiber stimulation (group of nerve cells) pain could not be present in the absence of c­fiber simulation just as water cant be present in the absence  of H2O physicalist can’t prove the identity thesis from induction alone we don’t know if its possible that one exists with out the other or the causation of the events stubbing the toe could cause c­fiber and pain • bachelor example 2. The Disembodiment Argument 1. I can conceive of experiencithis very pain  while possessing no features. I can conceive of  experiencingthis very pain  while disembodied 2. If I can conceive of a particular scenario occurring, then that scenario is possible  So, 3. It is possible this very pain  occurs in a disembodied being 4. Ithis very pain  was identical to some physical state, then it could not possible occur in a disembodied  being So, 5.This very pain  is not identical to any physical state THEREFORE: In Defense of Mind­Body Dualism 10/27/2012 The identity theses is false Premise 2  Not everything you think of can be conceived of • RESPONSE: a concept can only be a good candidate for this thought experiment if its sufficiently  comprehensive we have a full complete concept for this object, understand everything entire burden of proof has fallen on premise 1 Premise 1 • have to determine if our concept of pain is correct  • before learning chemistry we can all conceive of water being their in the absence of H2O o it is actually impossible because water is H2O o therefore, physicalists say, our concept of water cannot be used in this conceivability test • dualists need to block any connections between pain & water o we don’t need to investigate anything physical o even if c­fiber is correlated to pain, it is not essential to pain o we would not be able to determine if we were in pain unless we were checking if our c­fibers  were firing OBJECTIONS 1. Only in our concept of pain, can pain be present without c­fiber stimulation, the same is with water but we  don’t doubt that water isn’t present without H20 2. Mental causation  Epiphenomenalism – the mind is not itself a material thing, rather is it’s a distinct but casually  impotent by­product of the world charted by physics Chauvinistic towards human beings if pain=c­fiber stimulation, then creatures built differently then  us cant feel pain under the identity thesis The Qualia Problem 10/27/2012 Frank Jackson Nothing you could tell of a physical sort captures the smell of a rose THEREFORE: Physicalism is false “The Knowledge Argument” ­Fred as the ability to see red1 and red2 ­Say we have all the physical information about Fred’s internal physiology and all physical accounts: Fred’s cones respond differently to certain light waves Leads to a wider range of brain states responsible for this behavior None of his tells us what we really want to know about color experience THEREFORE: ­Know all this not knowing everything about Fred. It follows that physicalism leaves something out. SUPPOSE: ­Fred donates his body to science. People would say “At least we will know what is like to see the extra  color, at last we will know how Fred has different from us in the what he has struggled to tell us about for so  long.”  Then it cannot be that we knew all along all about Fred like we said we did Hence physicalist scheme leaves something out After the operation we will knomore  about Fred, beforehand we had all the physical info we could  desire about body & brain ­Hence there is more to know then all that, hence physicalism is incomplete Dualism Discussion 10/27/2012 identity thesis (physicalism) – mental states=physical states Dualism Discussion 10/27/2012 Gertler  says there is a correlation between mental & physical states One happens every time the other does Correlation vs. Identity Science shows that every one of our mental states has a physical one as well (correlation) Doesn’t believe identity is a scientific theory, but an assumption Identity is a further argument that needs to be proven Believes that if you prove physicalism false then dualism is true (she has a weak form of dualism) • Disembodiment Argument Identity thesis says its impossible for mental st„  s  physical states; and dualism sit is possible  If we are a disembodied soul, we can conceive of feeling bad Since it is possible (b/c of Leibniz’s Law) because I can conceive of it I can conceive of having this pain (pinching myself) with out having a body I have a mental pain without a physical one THEREFORE if I can conceive of something it is possible…physicalism is false Possible is a very weak word 100 foot book is possible, it doesn’t deceive the laws of nature…but its probably not really going to happen conceptual possibility – cant have a married bachelor, there is a contradiction in its existence, we cant  conceive of that • have to have a very comprehensive idea about something • pain is something we know the existence of; we don’t need to know what pain in to understand  we have it Dualism Discussion 10/27/2012 o walk into a room with a clear liquid in it how do we know its water?  Need to put it through some type of scientific analysis to understand if its water  We know pain because it’s a sensation, don’t need to do a test to figure if its  really pain…all it is a phenomenon  Because we can imagine pain w/o c­fiber stimulation we can imagine  having pain w/o a body Jackson  says that you can know every physical aspect about some one but not know all about the mental  state If mental states and physical states are the same then something is missing If they are discernable they are not identical (Leibniz’s Law) qualia (“what type”)  Knowledge Argument ­Fred can see red1 and red2 ­no matter how much we know we cannot understand the feeling of seeing red1 and red 2 ­we don’t know what its like unless we have the qualia THEREFORE: Mental state„  physical state…and the identity thesis cant be true Rejection of physicalism  Physicalism 10/27/2012 The Mind is the Brain Peter Carruthers Leibniz’s Law = identical things share identical properties Intentional/representational state = consciences state that are about something (deciding/willing an event  believe in an object, thinking about it, certain about it) I. Mind/Body Identity The identity­thesis is a version of strong materialism: it holds that all mental states and events are in fact  physical states and events It is a contingent thesis about the things in the world which our words refer to (A) An Argument for the Identity­Thesis 1) Some conscience states and events are causally necessary for the occurrence of some physical ones 2) In a complete neuro­physiological science there will be no need to advert to anything other than physical  causality C) So some conscience states and events are identical with physical (brain) states and events • Although its conclusion only claims that some conscience
More Less

Related notes for CAS PH 100

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.