Psychological & Brain Sciences
Course
CAS PS 101
Professor
Stuart Phillips
Semester
Spring

Description
Chapter 1 – Psychology: The Evolution of a Science [psychology  “psyche” meaning “soul” and “logos” meaning “to study”] A. Psychology was developed by William James i. Psychology is the scientific study of the mind and behavior 1. mind: our private inner experiences of perceptions, thoughts, memories, and feelings 2. behavior: observable actions of human beings and nonhuman animals B. Key Questions of Psychology i. What are the bases of perceptions, thoughts, memories, and feelings, or our subjective sense of self? 1. subjective experiences arise from electrical and chemical activities of our brains 2. fMRIs (functional magnetic resonance imaging) can be used to scan the brain to see which part is active during a certain activity ii. How does the mind usually allow us to function effectively in the world? 1. “form follows function” – the function of the mind is to help us do what we have to do to prosper (find food, mates, shelter, etc.) iii. Why does the mind occasionally function so ineffectively? 1. the mind trades accuracy for speed and versatility causing malfunctions in our mental processing I. Psychology’s Roots: The Path to a Science of Mind A. Psychology’s Ancestors: The Great Philosophers i. Greek philosophers such as Plato andAristotle were among the first to think about how the mind works 1. Are cognitive
More Less

Related notes for CAS PS 101

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit