Psychological & Brain Sciences
Course
CAS PS 261
Professor
David Shim
Semester
Spring

Description
Ch. 10: Aggression ­Aggression: actions designed to harm others in some way ­Factors: ­Basic Social: words or actions of other people ­Social exclusion & exposure to media violence ­rejection initiates hostile mind­set ­media violence­ increase aggressive behavior (TV, movies, video  games) ­Games satisfy motives for competence & mastery ­Games increase aggressive cognition, affect & behavior & reduce  empathy ­hostile expectation bias: expect others to behave aggressively ­desensitization to violence ­P300 Activity­ event­related brain potential—changes in brain  activity that occur as certain kinds of info are processed ­Cultural: i.e. norms tell individuals respond aggressively to defend honor ­Honor (Nisbett & Cohen)—cultures where things could be stolen,  had to express you wouldn’t tolerate it ­Sexual jealousy (fear of infidelity) can be motivator ­Male­Gender Role: threat to manhood can motivate agg. ­Personality: traits that predispose some toward aggressive outbursts ­The Tass Model: Traits As Situational Sensitivities Model ­many aspectso f personality function in threshold­like  manner—only when situations are strong enough do they  influence behavior ­Type A Behavior Pattern: extremely competitive, always in a  hurry, especially irritable & aggressive (Type B= opposite) ­Hostile Aggression: inflicting harm on victim ­Instrumental Aggression: forceful behavior to achieve goal ­Narcissism= defend egos= more aggressive ­Less aggressive gender gap= women—more aggressive ­Situational: aspects of external world i.e. tempe
More Less

Related notes for CAS PS 261

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit