Chem Ch 1 Notes
● Chemistry is the study of the composition, structure, properties, and
reactions of matter.
● A chemical is a substance that always has the same composition and
properties wherever found.
● Scientific method: 1. Make observations and ask questions. 2. Make a
hypothesis so that it can be tested. 3. Experiments-test the hypothesis.
4. Conclusion: is the hypothesis true or false? Confirmed or modified?
● Scientific method in everyday life
● Place values: thousands, hundreds, tens, ones, tenths, hundredths,
● Adding and dividing positive numbers
● Calculate percentage: parts divided by whole times 100
● Graph interpreting
● Direct relationship: volume of gas increases as temperature increases
● Chem Ch 2 Notes
● International System of UNits is the measurement system for the whole
whole besides the US, which does not use the metric system.
● Chemistry uses the metric system to make measurements. Graph on
● Length=meter and centimeter.
- 1m= 100cm,39.4in,1.09yd,
● Volume is the amount of space that something occupies=Liter and
- 1L=1000mL, 1L=1.06qt. 946mL=1 quart
● Mass is a measure of quantity of something- weight.
● 1kg=1000g, 1kg=2.20lb, 454g=1lb
● Mass does not depend on gravity like weight does
● Temperature is measured using celsiu