JWST 1828 Chapter Notes - Chapter 2-3: Aryan Race, Racial Hygiene, Ernst Haeckel

34 views5 pages
8 Feb 2017
Department
Course
Professor

For unlimited access to Textbook Notes, a Class+ subscription is required.

The State of Race Reading
Chapter 2
Racial Anthropological Theories
So like the Germans were always racist. They attempted to say whites were scientifically
more beautiful because they had better faces scientifically. They were superior spiritually. Then
this one guy said the 4 main races came from planets: day (white), dawn (Asian), sunset (Native
American), and night (black). Each race was given special powers: whites their brains, blacks
their genitals. Whites were therefore superior and have every right to assert their dominance
over earth, especially the ugly people of the night. These views that blacks and other were
raiall iferior ere oiousl ade up to justif Europea oloizatio oer saage
cultures. Germany was not alone in these thoughts, but they were one of the biggest
perpetrators of these racist ideals despite not even owning land outside of Europe.
Germany also started a hegemony, racism upon other Europeans based off a bunch of
etree iterpretatios of tets. The used the desriptios of Herder’s atioalisti (although
not racist) approach and combined it with Tacitus’ desriptio of aiet Geras (ee
though he was not German) to create this hegemony. The Germans created a culture of
German blonde hair blue eyed people as part of the Aryan race, the superior race. This gave
them the right to rule over the inferior Poles and other Slavic nations. The poles were barbaric
and had a pathetic history and were intellectually inferior.
The French also had similar ideas to the Germans. They talked about the French race
as superior ad other o-Ara raes ere iferior. Goieau as this dude ho thought
he had roal lood ut Louis Boaparte as’t uig it so he sered his life as a low ranking
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
diplomat who wrote lots of racist stuff like the French Aryan race was superior and all other
races were yucky. The rise and fall of nations was the result of interbreeding, without racial
discrimination, society will not progress. Nobody listened to Gobineau though because he was a
loser.
Racial Hygienic Theories
Dari’s Origi of the “peies is oiousl oe of the ost popular ooks of all-time.
Darwin was no racist he was anti-slavery and never talked shit about other races. The book
obviously was supposed to be about plants and animals. Nothing in his book suggested a racial
opoet. But Dari’s ook eae the Bile to “oial Dariist raists eause it talked
about survival of the fittest and they interpreted it as the fittest race.
Haeckel was the main guy behind this movement. He wanted selective breeding to let
the dominant races continue to survive and let the inferior races die out. He called it the Monist
league.. He poited to “parta as a eaple eause the’d kill off any sick or weak babies. He
wrote about it in the Riddle of Life, he really believed we should kill off the disabled. His
philosophies were starting to be practiced in the medical field, particularly the selective
breeding.
Schallmeyer liked Haeckel’s ideas ad epaded it ee further. He talked aout ho
certain people with inferior qualities should be sterilized and not allowed to reproduce. Since
he was a scientist he actually was able to do this which is fucked up. He did not base these
characteristics on race however, he believed race was not a part of these superiority factors.
Alfred Ploetz, another guy who wrote about how the German race was the most
outstanding race of them all. He believed the German race was threatened by the growing
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get access

Grade+
$10 USD/m
Billed $120 USD annually
Homework Help
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
40 Verified Answers
Study Guides
1 Booster Class
Class+