Psychology
Course
PSY 150
Professor
danettemorrison
Semester
Spring

Description
I. Spotlights and Illusions a. Spotlight effect the tendency for people to focus on themselves and to overestimate the extent at which others aim their attention to you 1. Social surroundings affect awareness 2. Selfinterest effects social judgement 3. Selfconcern sways behavior 4. Social relationships play a defining role 1. Illusion of transparency facial expressions show emotion II. Self Concept: Who am I? a. Selfconcept how a person defines themselves 1. I am ______ 2. Selfschemas the beliefs that a person uses to define themselves 1. Schema= mental templates that allow organization of the world 3. Possible selves what a person believes they may become III. Development of the Social Self a. Role Play 1. New roles= selfconscious b. Social Identities 1. Gain confidence over time c. Comparisons 1. Social comparisons comparing your own abilities to those around you 1. Can cause diminished personal satisfaction d. Successes and Failures 1. Based on daily experiences e. Judgements 1. Looking glass self 2. Selfinflation more common in western cultures f. Culture 1. Western cultures = individualism selfcontained identity > independent self 2. Most other cultures= collectivism group identity > interdependent self 1. Greater sense of belonging 3. Cultures can change over time 1. Growing individualism 4. Culture can effect thinking 5. Culture effects selfesteem IV. SelfKnowledge a. Explaining behavior 1. Often falsely blamed on weather, day of the week, etc. b. Predicting behavior
More Less

Related notes for PSY 150

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit