PSYCH-101 Chapter Notes - Chapter 4: Cognitive Evaluation Theory, Psych, Motivation

13 views3 pages

Document Summary

Intrinsic- interest and enjoyment: gain knowledge, accomplishment, sensation. Extrinsic- attain rewards or outcomes that lie outside the activity itself: medals, avoid guilt, please others. All people have an innate tendency towards psychological growth, integration of the self, and behavioral self-regulation: active and growth oriented, seek optimal (equal) challenges (am i better than i was before?, extend themselves. Effort, persistence to achieve goal(s: strive to learn and master new skills. Social-contextual factors can either support or hinder the growth process: environment will influence human nature. Three basic needs are essential for optimal functioning: competence: need to perceive behaviour and interactions that are effective, autonomy: need to perceive behaviours and thoughts are freely chosen. We are origins of our own actions: relatedness: need to perceive that we are connected to those around us and that we experience a sense of belongingness. Intrinsic motivation (i do this because i love it: toward knowledge, toward accomplishment.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers