ANTH 410 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1: Linguistic Anthropology, Linguistic Determinism, Cultural Relativism

23 views3 pages
18 Jan 2020
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

What whorf appears to be saying as far as the influence between culture and language. Questions: m&w - b. whorf the relation of habitual thought : this is a very important article in the history of linguistic anthropology. Using what you learned in anth 100 and/or anth 120, discuss what you believe to be the deeper (and more modern) implications of this article (in other words, how do we now interpret what. Whorf was saying and how do we use it in modern anthropology? is definitely something that is one of the core ideas of modern anthropology. However i will say that his thoughts on modes of thinking and its relation to perceptions of time in language is something i believe i recall from anth 120 but. Linguistic determinism: language determines what you think and thus what you do very similar if not the same as linguistic relativism which is more tending towards influencing rather than determining thought.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers