BUS 200 Chapter Notes - Chapter 11: European Monetary System, Floating Exchange Rate, Foreign Exchange Market

82 views2 pages
20 Jun 2017
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

International monetary system: the institutional arrangements that govern exchange rates i. Recall that the foreign exchange market is the primary institution for determining exchange rates. Floating exchange rate system: where the foreign exchange market determines the relative value of a currency i. U. s dollar, the euro, the yen, and pound. Used to keep consistency with hopes to stabilize their exchange rate; typically pegging into the u. s dollar for stabilizing. Dirty float: when market forces determine the value of a currency, but with central bank intervention if it depreciates too rapidly against an important reference currency i. ii. Government can intervene and help save the currency iii. Fixed exchange rate system: countries fix their currencies against each other at a mutually agreed upon value i. The origin of the gold standard dates to ancient times when gold coins were a medium of exchange, unit of account, and store of value ii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers