KSU 1200 Chapter Notes - Chapter 3: Mind Map, Visual Learning

33 views2 pages
17 Oct 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor
Shelley Bridger Chapter 3 book notes- KSU seminar 30 August 2016
I. Preparing of Academic Success: Be positive towards school. You are responsible for learning
material in class, meeting the challenges, you will graduate.
II. Campus Resources: Get all the help you can from the resource offered. Even use the
instructor.
A. Difference between a tutor and an SI: tutoring is normally one on one and often the
topic is something that the student is individually struggling on. SI is normally
someone that has sat through the class multiple times and will teach to a bigger
group and a tutor would.
III. Anatomy of a Syllabus: LEARN THE SYLLABUS. It is the guide to the class!!!
IV. Reading and understanding college textbooks: Get a real understanding for what is in the
textbook. Take notes on each chapter to study from and to use later. Compare what you
know compared to what the instructor is talking about in class. Summarize what you read in
your own words.
A. Footnotes- An underused study resource: footnotes are a great place to get
resources from and can make things more clear.
V. Listening and note taking strategies: Actively listen to what the instructor is saying and it will
be really helpful. (take notes) After the lecture it is helpful to go back and read what you
wrote during class.
A. Cornell method of note taking: in section B- paragraph form of your notes.
Section A- key words. Section C- summary of info on the page- gives you a quick
review when studying.
B. Mind mapping and concept mapping methods: concept mapping method is
when you start out with a bubble of the main idea of the topic in the center and
branch out from there. Mind mapping is more organized, it is what I like but
with color for each thing, images, record ideas. BOTH are for visual learners.
VI. Study Strategies: study which way works best for you.
A. Planning to study: setting a time where you do nothing other than study!!! Make
goals for each study session. If you work in a group then choose wisely.
B. Learning Conditions- An Important Consideration: include physical environment,
hoose a study tehiue. Ask hy.
C. Studying for deeper comprehension and understanding: there are 5 stragies that
are effective for deeper learning- 1.) Elaoatie iteogatio: ask hy ad e
able to answer it. 2.) self-explanation: being able to answer something in your own
words. 3.) Practice Testing: fake test. 4.) Distributed practice: learning new things
oe a peiod of tie sheduled leaig 5.) iteleaed patie: ayig the
material covered in a single study session. This is considered the most complex
learning technique. Moving the study location could also be helpful.
D. Wrappers- a Self-Tested Strategy: after learning something new, write down 3-4
things you just learned.
E. Developing a Study Plan: it is important to know your own study style. Be careful if
choosing a study group. Blooms taxonomy review.
F. One Final Consideration- Teaching Styles: Be aware of how your teacher teaches!
Teachers provide about 20% of what you need for an exam and you provide the
other 80%
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Preparing of academic success: be positive towards school. You are responsible for learning material in class, meeting the challenges, you will graduate. Campus resources: get all the help you can from the resource offered. Even use the instructor: difference between a tutor and an si: tutoring is normally one on one and often the topic is something that the student is individually struggling on. Si is normally someone that has sat through the class multiple times and will teach to a bigger group and a tutor would. Reading and understanding college textbooks: get a real understanding for what is in the textbook. Take notes on each chapter to study from and to use later. Compare what you know compared to what the instructor is talking about in class. Summarize what you read in your own words: footnotes- an underused study resource: footnotes are a great place to get resources from and can make things more clear.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers