Chapter 9 vocab (book)
• Epoch:Asubdivision of a geological period.
• Continental Drift:The movement of continental land masses on top of a partially molten layer of
the earths mantle that has altered the relative location of the continents over time.
• Paleocene epoch: The first epoch of the Cenozoic era, dating between 65.5 million and 55.8
million years ago. The primate like mammals appeared during the Paleocene.
• Postorbital bar: The bony ring that separates the eye orbit from the back of the skull in primates.
• Carpolestes Simpsoni:Aspecies of primate like mammal that had some derived primate traits,
such as a grasping foot and an opposable big toe. This species is intermediate in many respects
between primitive primate like mammals and true primates.
• Eocene Epoch: The second epoch of the Cenozoic era, dating between 55.8 million and 33.9
million years ago. The first true primates, primitive prosimians, appeared during the Eocene.
• Oligocene Epoch: The third epoch of the Cenozoic era, dating between 33.9 million and 23
million years ago. Anthropoids underwent an adaptive radiation during the Oligocene.
• Miocene Epoch: The fourth epoch of the Cenozoic era, dating between 23 million and 5.3
million years ago. Sev