Chapter 13 vocab (book)
• Anatomically Modern Humans (AMHS): The modern form of the human species, which dates
back 200,000 years.
• Homo Floresiensis: The species name given to a very small hominin that lived in Indonesia in
recent times, and though by some to be a dwarf species of Homo Erectus.
• Island Dwwarfism: The process by which natural selection favors smaller body size on an
island with limited resources, leading to dwarfed species.
• Upper Paleolithic:Ageneral term used to collectively refer to the stone tool technologies of
anatomically modern Homo Sapiens.
• Lower Paleolithic:A general term used to collectively refer to the stone tool technologies of
Homo Habilis/ Homo Rudolfensis and Homo Erectus.
• Middle Paleolithic:Ageneral term used to refer collectively to the stone tool technologies of
homo heidelbergensis and the Neanderthals.
• Blade:Astone tool characteristic of the Upper Paleolithic, defined as being at least twice as
long as it is wide.
• Burin:Astone tool with a sharp edg