Chapter 17 vocab (book)
• Sedentary: Settled in one place throughout most or all of the year.
• Bio-archaeology: The study of human skeletal remains from archaeological sites that are used
to provide information on the health and lifestyle of prehistoric people.
• Carrying Capacity: The maximum population size capable of being supported in a given
• Natural Increase: The number of births minus the number of deaths.
• Life expectancy at birth:Ameasure of the average length of life for a newborn child.
• Life Table:Acompilation of the age distribution of a population that provides an estimate of the
probability that an individual will die by a certain age, used to compute life expectancy.
• Zoonose:Adisease transmitted directly to humans from other animals.
• Epidemic:Apattern of disease rate when new cases of a disease spread rapidly through a
• Endemic:Apattern of disease rate when new cases of a disease occur at a relatively constant
but low rate over time.
• Civilization:Alarge, state-level society characterized by large population size, high population
density, urbanization, social stratification, food and labor su