Chapter 11 Vocab (book)
• Prison:Astate or federal confinement facility that has custodial authority over adults sentenced
• Justice Model:Acontemporary model of imprisonment based on the principle of just desert.
• Prison Capacity: The size of the correctional population an institution can effectively hold.
There are three types of prison capacity: rated, operational, and design
• Rated Capacity: The number of inmates a prison can handle according to the judgement of
• Operational Capacity: The number of inmates a prison can effectively accommodate based on
• Design Capacity: The number of inmates a prison was intended to hold when it was built or
• Classification System:Asystem used by prison administration to assign inmates to custody
levels based on offense history, assessed dangerousness, perceived risk of escape, and
• ADMAX:An acronym for administrative maximum. This term is used by the