Ch. 5 Outline.doc

7 Pages

Department
Criminal Justice
Course Code
CJ 335
Professor
Roy Fenoff

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 7 pages of the document.
Description
Ch. 5: Police Officers I: Entering Police Work I. The Changing American Police Officer a. 40 years ago officers were almost all male, almost all white, and typically had no high school education. b. Most officers today have some college education, many have undergraduate degrees and a number have master degrees c. Several openly gay and lesbian officers. II. Aspects of the Personnel Process A. A Career Perspective a. More like a career than job. b. Career perspective helps to understand how police officers interact with law enforcement organizations. c. Need to focus on hiring and retaining the best officers. d. Personnel problems due to: i. Hire good recruits but don’t retain them. ii. Train well but do not supervise. iii. Do not have good personnel evaluation systems and recognize good performance. iv. Fail to discipline officers. v. Fail to provide career opportunities that promote good morale and help retain good officers. vi. Do not promote the best officers. B. Beyond Stereotypes of Cops a. Stereotypes about cops heavily influence the public image of who police are, what they believe, and how they act. b. Negative i. View officers as uneducated, untrained, prejudiced, brutal and corrupt. c. Positive i. Heroic saints, risking their lives in the face of hostility from the public, media, and the courts. d. Niederhoofer characterizes officers as a “Rorschach in a uniform; people in trouble view as savior and others view as ogre” e. Police officers are average and do not differ from general pop in beliefs and values. C. The Personnel Process: A Shared Responsibility a. Civil service system and/or other city personnel departments control part of policing. b. Civil Service agency responsibilities i. Develop job descriptions ii. Establish the minimum standards required for each position iii. Develop tests for each position iv. Announce job openings v. Conduct some, but not all, of the tests vi. Certify a list of persons to be hired or promoted c. Police departments i. Advise the civil service agency on job descriptions, requirements and tests. ii. Conduct some of the recruiting iii. Administer some of the tests III. Recruitment a. Includes minimum qualifications, recruitment effort, and applicant decision’s apply for a position. A. What Kind of Job? What Kind of Person? a. Important to define the nature of the job. B. Minimum Qualifications a. Age i. Some believe the minimum age level for recruits should be raised. ii. Most require all applicants to be 21 years old. iii. Used to have an age limit but federal law banned these discriminations. b. Height and Weight i. Departments require that weight be proportional to height. ii. Used to require applicants be 5’8 but laws changed due to discrimination. iii. Didn’t use to enforce fitness standards. c. Education i. Used to only require high school education. ii. Most departments now require a college education. d. Require a College Degree? i. Believe degree would improve policing 1. Higher education will shape the values of students and make them better understand the complex role of the police in a democratic society. 2. Improve on-the-street performance by giving them capacity to make better judgments. 3. Exhibit a desire for self-improvement and this will help make professional police officers. ii. Helpful to enhance their ability to be problem solvers and planners. iii. Some argue it limits the pool and leaves out other races. iv. No proof college educated officers perform better. e. Criminal Record i. Some argue this should automatically eliminate an applicant. ii. Others argue it depends on what time, the severity, and how many times. iii. Found 95% of departments refuse to hire someone with an adult felony. iv. 75% reject people with a juvenile felony. v. 30% reject people with either or. vi. Drug offense pose most difficult questions. f. Residency Requirements i. American Civil Liberties Union believes it matters if an officer lives in the city they police. ii. ¼ of all police departments require police officers to live within the city or county. iii. Intended to heighten the officers familiarity with the community and their commitment. C. Recruitment Effort a. Department’s effort will affect the pool size. b. Historically, police departments did not actively recruit officers. IV. Choosing Law Enforcement as a Career A. Applicants’ Motivations a. Choose for two reasons i. Nature of police work ii. Material benefits of the job b. Top reasons why i. Help people ii. Job security iii. Fight crime iv. Excitement of the job v. Prestige of the job c. Similar for both males and females. d. Enjoy high degree of job security due to civil service rules and police union contract provisions that make it hard to get fired. e. After probation period, have to be fired for specific reason and can appeal f. Racial minorities motivated for the same reasons. g. Family connection is also another motivator. B. Barriers to Recruitment a. Negative image of police causes some African Americans not to apply. b. Many women do not apply because they see it as a traditional male role. V. Selecting Officers from the Recruit Pool A. Selection Tests a. Written and medical exams, a background check, and interviews of finalists. b. Sometimes takes many months. c. 90% test for drug use d. Some make officers regularly drug test e. Oral interviews are used by almost all big city police officers. f. About 45 minute interviews and are about two or three of them. g. Most departments used standardized interview format. B. Background Investigations a. Can identify factors related to job performance: good work record in previous jobs, the ability to get along with people, the absence of disciplinary problems in school or job. b. Can identify involvement with drugs, behavior problems, or criminal record. c. Washington DC police department i. Needed to hire 2,000 officers quick ii. Dropped standard background checks iii. Number of applicants submitted fake references and work experience. iv. Became corrupt officers involved in drug activity. VI. Predicting Police Officer Performance a. Cohen and Chaiken studied 1,608 NY police officers. i. 33 background characteristics were examined; race, IQ, father’s occupation, previous job history, military record, marital status, and criminal record. ii. Only factor that correlated was recruit training score. b. Not possible to predict which individuals will be goof officers. c. Grant and Grant concluded that efforts to improve the quality of police officer performance by screening out those recruits who will not make good police officers have generally been unsuccessful. d. Tests read out illiterate and uneducated. e. Some great officers might be good at research but don’t do well under pressure. f. Psychological tests do not necessarily help. VII. Equal Employment Opportunity A. The Law of Equal Employment Opportunity a. Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act; it is unlawful for an employer “to fail or refuse to hire or to discharge any individual, or otherwise to discriminate against any individual because of race, religion, sex, or national origin.” b. Equal Employment Opportunity Act extended the overage to state and local governments. c. Some state laws cover other categories that federal laws do not. B. Job-Related Qualifications a. EEO’s do not guarantee anyone a job. b. Employers may establish bona fide occupational qualifications (BFOQ) and refuse to hire people who do not possess those qualifications. c. BFOQ: “reasonably necessary to the normal operation of that part
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit