Online Modules: March 13, 2013
• Instructions providing all of the information necessary for a living organism to grow and live
reside in the nucleus of every cell.
• These instructions tell the cell what role it will play in your body.
• The instructions come in the form of a molecule called DNA. It encodes a detailed set of plans,
like a blueprint, for building different parts of the cell.
• The DNAmolecule comes in the form of a double helix. The ladder's rungs are built with the
four-letter DNAalphabet, AC T and G.
• Ais always paired with T and G is always paired with C.
• Asequence of these letters are called genes.
• Genes tell the cell to make other molecules called proteins. Proteins enable a cell to perform
• Genes are directions for building all the proteins that make our bodies function.
• Genes are made of DNA
• The DNAis packed into compact units called chromosomes
• Each human cell has 46 chromosomes and all the DNAis organized into two sets of 23
• Our nerve networks are made up of individual cells a