Writing, Rhet & Amer Cultures
Course
WRA 115
Professor
Manderfield
Semester
Spring

Description
The Importance of Getting Curious ▯ ▯ - Curiosity is not dead. ▯ - “Situational Curiosity” — short-term curiosity ▯ - AKA when you randomly think about something that you NEED to look up. When its at the tip of your tongue, you just have the internet to search it. ▯ - genuine research relies on a sustained interest in something. ▯ - A question is what triggers your research, such as where does the term ditto came from and the history of certain things that interest you. ▯ ▯ Seeing the World with Wonder ▯ ▯ - CHOSE YOUR RESEARCH TOPIC CAREFULLY. IF YOU LOSE INTEREST IN IT, CHANGE YOUR TOPIC TO ONE THAT DOES INTEREST YOU OR FIND A DIFFERENT ANGLE. ▯ - Previous experience — I wrote about the KKK for six papers in high school and enjoyed it the first two times but then I got sick about writing about it. It was interesting to me the first time, but then I decided to change my angles each time I wrote about it. ▯ What have I seen or experienced that raises questions that research can help answer?▯ ▯ Getting the Pot Boiling ▯ - Pick something that you can relate too or that you have experienced. ▯ ▯ Exercise 1.1▯ - STEP ONE: TAKE TIME TO THINK ABOUT EVERYTHING THAT YOU KNOW. ▯ - You can start by using these — places, trends, things, technoligues, people, controversies, history, jobs, habits, hobbies.▯ - Brainstorm underneath these topics. ▯ - Personal Experience: I usually just make an outline of my life events. ▯ - STEP TWO: review your list, look for a single item in any column that you think you can write a paper on. ▯ - Is it something that raises a question that research can help me answer? ▯ - Are they potentially interesting questions? ▯ - Does this item get at something I've always wondered about? ▯ - Might it open doors to knowledge I think is important, fascinating,
More Less

Related notes for WRA 115

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit