Ballenger’s Chapter One Notes
Possible Purposes for a ResearchAssignment—
- Ballenger is telling us that it is important to know your main motive for writing the
- Is it a pervasive paper?Astory?Aresearch paper on a topic?
- He tells us that it important to understand the purposes and how to approach the first
draft by these two things:
- EXPLORE - research essay instead of paper —
- I never knew there was a difference between a paper and an essay.
• ARGUE — where to put the hypothesis - beginning of the paper.
What writing skill is Ballenger recommending that can you imagine a
professional situation in which the skill might be useful?
o He is saying that you need to find a topic that you can form a question
about and need to research more about so that you can make a strong
- Inquiry question
- Primary Purpose
- What, if any, prior beliefs, assumptions, preconceptions, ideas or prejudices do you
bring to this project?
- How much do the past experiences affect the way you feel and how you write your
- After you research it, what changed? Did your opinion change or did it strengthen
Reading for Research
- Reading research can be boring — but researchers who study reading say that the best
readers are guided by a strong sense of purpose. Like they have an interest in reading,
and they are getting something from it.
- the strongest readers are those who already have some prior knowledge of the subject,
- this means selecting particular reading strategies that are most effective in certain
situations and for certain purposes and applying them.
Such as seeing a text message and how it makes sense to you, such as brb, lol, cu in a bit
x, def, b.
- You already know the language that they are presenting in a text message.
- When reading something else such as references, and different kinds of research, your
usual reading strategies will fail. - We usually enjoy the experience of reading a story or at least feel something in response
to a good one, but we usually read articles with a much more practical purpose in mind,
to acquire information.
- The difference is the WAYYOU READ THEM.
- BECOMINGAWARE OFYOUR READING STRATEGIES IS THE FIRST STEP