Economics
Course
ECONOM 1051
Professor
George
Semester
Fall

Description
Econ 1051: Chapter 3 The Model of Supply and Demand: Where Prices Come From I. Demand A. Demand schedules­ tables showing relationship between price and product  with quantity of product demanded. How much of a good are you willing  to consume at a certain price? B. Demand curve­ shows relationship between price and quantity demanded.  (market demand= demand by ALL consumers in market of good/service).  Sloping curve shows relationship. C. The Law of Demand­ ceteris paribus, when prices of a product fall,  quantity demanded will increase (you’re most willing/able to buy when  prices are low). Why: 1. substitution effect: when the price of something falls consumers are  more likely to purchase it than a comparable good (if Monster is  cheap, people will buy it over lattes) 2. income effect: quantity of goods a consumer can buy with fixed  income increases when price is lowered (purchasing power up). “I feel  richer”. D. Variables shifting market demand 1. income­ affects willingness and ability to buy a good a. normal good­ good for which demand increases as income rises  and decreases as income falls b. inferior good­ good for which demand increases as income falls  and decreases as income rises (ramen, because when you’re poor  you buy more of it) 2. prices of related goods a. substitutes (see above) b. complements­ goods and services used together, so when demand  for one increases so does demand for the other (hot dogs and buns) 3. tastes 4. population­ when population increases, 
More Less

Related notes for ECONOM 1051

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit