Eric J. Hobsbawn
• Presently a planned reordering of the world by the powerful states is at hand; spreading
such democracy is dangerous as seen in Iraq and Afghanistan
• Electoral democracy is unlikely to produce outcomes convenient to hegemonic or
• Globalization suggest that human affairs are evolving towards an universal pattern
• In the absence of effective international governance, come humanitarians are still ready
to support a world order imposed by the U.S.
• Great power action may have moral or politically desirable consequences but