BIO 111 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1: Proteome, Systems Biology, Complete Protein

709 views5 pages
22 Sep 2016
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Introduction to biology: 7 traits of living things, cells are the simplest units of life. This is also driven by environment: extra principles of living things, all species are related a. i) genome: complete genetic composition of a species. (a. i. 1) All cells in organisms have the same genome. If there"s a different genome, there are different cells. (a. i. 2) Genome functions: (a. i. 2. a) stores information and provides continuity between generations (a. i. 3) Genome carries information that makes a proteome. a. ii) proteome: complete protein composition of a species (a. ii. 1) Proteins are responsible for structure and function of a cell: structure determines function b. i) ex: bird"s feet. Every bite: atom: smallest unit of an element, molecules: atoms bond to form molecules. Made of two or more atoms. b. i) macromolecules: many molecules bonded together. (b. i. 1) Ex: carbs, proteins, dna, rna: cells: surrounded by cell membrane. Tree of life b. ii) mutations: heritable changes in the genetic makeup of organisms (b. ii. 1)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers