2 Pages
Unlock Document

Pennsylvania State University
CHEM 101
Mary Shoemaker

Chem 101 Chapter 5  Binary Compounds are compounds that contain two elements o Compounds that contain a metal and a nonmetal o Compounds that contain two nonmetals  Binary ionic compound contain a positive ion (cation), and a negative ion (anion) o To name these compounds we simply name the ions o Cation always written first in name  Type I compounds: the metal present forms only one type of cation  Type II compound: the metal present can form two or more cations that have different charges  Rules for naming Type I Ionic Compounds o Cation is always first, anion second o A simple cation takes its name from the name of the element o A simple anion takes its name from the root of the element and adding the ending –ide  Type II Ionic Compounds o The cation named first, anion second o The cation is specified by a roman numeral in parenthesis o The ion with the higher charge has a name ending in –ic o The one with the lower charge has a name ending in –ous  Metals that form only one cation do not need to be identified by a roman numeral  Type III Binary Compounds  Naming Type III o First element in the formula is named first, the full element name is used o The second element is named as if it were an anion o Prefixes
More Less

Related notes for CHEM 101

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.