297A homework for Jan 31
Here is a link to the video of Coover we watched at the end of class today:
Select a becauseclause from Coover’s reading and find places in the novel that contain a similar theme. I
want you to be ready to share page numbers and discuss. You may use the below transcript.
1. Because art blows life into the lifeless, death into the deathless.
2. Because art’s lie is preferable, in truth, to life’s beautiful terror.
Henry creates this world that he can control, and he can handle all of its problems
3. Because as time does not pass nothing, as Beckett tells us, passes, it passes the time.
Lou always looks at his watch, but Henry doesn’t care about time.
4. Because death, our mirthless master, is somehow amused by epitaphs.
5. Because epitaphs well struck give death, our voracious master, heartburn.
6. Because fiction imitates life’s beauty, thereby inventing the beauty life lacks.
7. Because fiction is the best position—at once exotic and familiar—for fucking the world.
T8. Because fiction, mediating paradox, celebrates it.
9. Because fiction, mothered by love, loves love as a mother might her unloving child
he part where he has sex with Hettie and pretends that he was Damon Rutherford (24)
10. Because fiction speaks hopelessly, beautifully, as the world speaks
When he dreams about him and Hettie enjoying the countryside of Italy or Spain, and someone told
Henry to stop kidding hims