• Chapter 5
o Talks about different types of Jazz
o New Orleans Style – 1890- 1920
Center of the styles of Jazz
Strong cross mixture of different cultures
Red Light District – Noticeable house of prostitution, bars, nightclubs.
All live music, only could have live music
Called the city, story Ville.
o Chicago Style Jazz – 1920 – Present
o Instrumental obligation
Front line – Instruments that are in the front. Trumpet, usually plays the
melody. Also the strongest instrument and heard above everyone else.
• Clarinet – Not as strong as trumpet, but capable of playing faster
notes than the trumpet. Clarinet usually has a second melody,
• Trombone – Reinforces the rhythm and the harmony.
• Drums – establish to maintain the beat and the rhythm.
• Banjo – Reinforce the harmony and the rhythm.
• Tuba – To play the bass notes in the music.
Generally played in a AABB Structure
Straight chord – 4 beat to a measure with no accents.
Dixie Land Jazz – polyphony
• Two or more melodies at the same time.