History
Course
HIST 1191
Professor
Janelle Greenberg
Semester
Fall

Description
HIST 1191 notes – Fortescue reading Fortescue "On the Laws and Gov't of England" ed. Shelley Lockwood chapters I, VIII,  IX, XII, XIII, XVII, XVIII • Fortescue I o Under what circumstances and for what purposes did he write this work?  Henry VI's son, prior to taking the throne, was more prone to  fighting than understanding justice and its place in royal duties  Author "aged knight" ­> chancellor writing to remind prince of his  duty to enforce law and justice  Strong religious influence • IX o What differences did he find between a king ruling "politically" and a king  ruling "royally"?  Ruling politically includes consent of the governed; ruling royally  is a slippery slope into despotism, in which the king uses only his  legitimacy as royalty to set whatever laws he likes • XIII o How did kingdoms that were ruled royally begin?  Elites subjugated their neighbors and exerted power over them; the  rules they set eventually became codified into laws  The subjugated thought it better to have the protection of one elite  than to be vulnerable to others and submitted to the elite's  hegemony and laws
More Less

Related notes for HIST 1191

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit