SOC 10000 Chapter Notes - Chapter 4: Ascribed Status, Role Theory, Role Conflict

45 views5 pages
23 Feb 2017
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Introduction: socialization is the process by which individuals internalize the values, beliefs, and norms of a given society and learn to function as members of that society. Limits of socialization: twin studies are used in the nature vs. nurture argument because it factors out genetics, human beings operate within limits that are mostly not made by the person themselves, human nature. Human nature is the blend of the raw materials that people are physically made of and the environment in which people are raised in. Theories of socialization: me, myself, and i: development of the self and the other. Self is the individual identity of a person as perceived by that same person. Cooley suggests that the self (cid:272)o(cid:373)es fro(cid:373) a perso(cid:374)"s ability to assume the point of view of others, and think about how they see him. I is o(cid:374)e"s se(cid:374)se of age(cid:374)(cid:272)y, a(cid:272)tio(cid:374) or po(cid:449)er. Mead stated that infants only know i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers