Sociology
Course
SOC 10000
Professor
Steven Hillis
Semester
Spring

Description
Socialization and the Life Course Sunday, February 23, 2014 10:12 PM I. Socialization II. Social Isolation and Feral Children (or why socialization is so important) III. Putting Socialization in a Development Context a. The Nature vs. Nurture Debate b. Cognitive Development and Limits to Childhood i. Socialization: Piaget's Theory of Development ii. (Sensorimotor, Preoperational, Concrete Operational, and Formal Operational Stages) c. Language Learning and Limits to Adult Socialization: Studies to Pidgin and Emerging Creole Languages d. Concluding Thoughts i. Human children need socialization in the form of love, care, and affection. Absent to that, humans cannot learn to speak and interact in a manner that is expected. IV. The Social Self a. Cooley's "Looking Glass Self" i. Pertains to the self-image that we have based on how we suppose others perceive us. 1) We imagine how we appear to others around us. 2) We draw general conclusions based on the reactions of others. 3) Based on our evaluations of others' reactions, we develop our sense of personal identity. b. The work of G.H. Mead i. A Developmental Model of How the Self Emerges: The Preparatory, Play, and Game Stage 1) The preparatory stage - Children merely imitate the people around the, especially family.
More Less

Related notes for SOC 10000

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit